Great end to the day, facilitating a session with our smartest techies discussing what Higher Education IT will look like in 5yrs.
In no particular order:
- The end of the dominance of the managed workstation – but not its total demise
- Platform agnostic (or at least broad support) services are vital
- Conflict between supporting BYOService and corporate responsibilities/regulation
- Mobility will remain a theme for a while yet, Internet of Things a stalking horse, scepticism about wearables (except for watching streamed lectures in bed with Google Glass)
- Cloud provisioned virtual desktops and apps may bridge the gap between corporate service provision and BYOD/remote use, but it’s a commitment – you can’t just turn it off
- Not the end of the monolithic corporate app, development is too slow
- Conversely, the rate of change for cloud services presents its own challenges!
- Good connectivity is vital!
The aim is to work this up into a working strategy for how we provide basic personal computing facilities to staff and students – but I anticipate more interesting and challenging discussions to come.